New releases from Squale, Vulcain, Frédérique Constant and morePietro Pilla
The watch industry never sleeps, so here we are with our weekly selection of our favourite releases of the past seven days. We have the fan-favourite French creative seconde/seconde/ striking again with a collaboration that is as simple as it is punchy. Then we have a skin diver from a vintage-inspired brand just in time to bless the Australian summer with its bright colours, as well as plenty of other hot watches. Enjoy the read!
Vario 1918 Pilot
- This retro-inspired piece’s jaunty angle and bund strap reference the first-ever Transatlantic flights – and the watches of that era.
- Made from a glossy enamel, the old-style numerals positively glow, even if you ignore the luminous paint within them
- It’s powered by the surprisingly pretty hand-winding Miyota 8N33 calibre, which is no longer in production.
Bulgari Aluminium Chronograph Gran Turismo Limited Edition
- Bulgari’s partnership with cult video game Gran Turismo is based on the new Aluminium Chronograph, with a bright, ’90s supercar dashboard-inspired dial.
- The two limited editions celebrate the 10th anniversary of Vision GT, Gran Turismo’s selection of virtual hypercars created by real-life manufacturers.
- The launch also unveils a Bulgari Aluminium Vision GT hypercar, accompanying every limited-edition watch sold.
Formex Baby Reef
- The Formex Reef goes through a downsizing process to ensure wearability on smaller wrists.
- While all the dimensions are reduced (including the thickness), the original 300-metre water resistance is maintained.
- The highlight of this new release, other than the possibility of changing the bezel colour, is certainly the patented tool-less micro-adjust clasp.
Nivada Grenchen x Ace Jewelers Super Antarctic Polar
- The new collaboration between Ace Jewelers and Nivada Grenchen pays homage to the 1955 United States mission to the Antarctic, Operation Deep Freeze.
- At the time, the Antarctic provided for exploration kept perfect time despite prolonged diving, extreme altitude and high magnetism.
- The polar look of the dial is complemented by a highly visible orange seconds hand, reminiscent of the Netherlands, the home of Ace Jewelers.
Furlan Marri x Revolution Watch x Auro Montanari Flyback Chronographs
- Furlan Marri goes back to the chronographs that started it all for the brand – but this time, they’re powered by mechanical movements.
- Three new colour variants were developed with the help of Auro Montanari, an icon of the vintage world, best known as John Goldberger.
- With a design inspired by watches from the 1940s and 1950s, special attention was paid to the pushers, which are either olive-shaped or reminiscent of the Patek Philippe ‘Tasti Tondi’.
Vulcain x Ocarat Skindiver Lagoon
- This 1960s-inspired timepiece is tinged with a modern bright turquoise dial, creating an altogether clean and refreshing look.
- Staying true to vintage proportions at just over 38mm wide and 12.2mm thick, it’s water-resistant to 200 metres.
- Limited to 50 pieces, it is available exclusively through Ocarat’s online shop.
Norqain Independence 40mm Limited Edition
- Norqain pairs a new black mother-of-pearl dial with black diamonds on the bezel of this new Independence model.
- This stealthy look is completed by a black DLC case that is water-resistant to 100m, making it look as much at home exploring as it does at an elegant event.
- This limited edition, formally dedicated to a female audience, has gender-non-conforming appeal thanks to its 40mm diameter and 46.3mm lug-to-lug.
Squale x seconde/seconde/ 1521 Watch Your Hand
- Using the 1521 Militaire model as a base, the bright mind of seconde/seconde/ adds his personal, joyful touch to this serious, professional dive watch.
- The shark, which is usually found at 6 o’clock and is part of the Squale brand, wanders around the dial enough to bite the hour hand, leaving a clear mark.
- This limited edition of 100 pieces also bears a “secret signature” of the French creative on the depth indicator.
Frédérique Constant Highlife Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar Manufacture
- Frédérique Constant continues celebrating their 35th birthday with an 88-piece limited edition Highlife Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar Manufacture.
- It was released to celebrate the opening of the Citizen multi-brand shop on New York’s iconic Fifth Avenue.
- The quick-release integrated stainless steel bracelet and the additional rubber strap make changing the look and feel of the watch extremely easy.
Longines x Hodinkee Spirit Zulu Time GMT
- As is typical of collaborations with Hodinkee, a vintage Longines logo is retained in place of the modern one in the new Spirit Zulu Time GMT.
- Both the case and bracelet are made of grade 5 titanium, which makes it, together with its dimensions of 39 x 13.5 mm, a perfect travel companion.
- The look is completed by a steel 24-hour bezel and a black matte dial with a colour-matched date disc at 3 o’clock.
Breguet Reine de Naples 8925 Valentine’s Day Edition
- Breguet gets ahead of the game by releasing a Valentine’s edition of the iconic Reine de Naples.
- While maintaining a classic look, small red hearts can be seen on the indices, together with a subtle line of 66 hand-set rubies on the flange.
- The stylised Breguet numerals echo the egg-shaped Reine de Naples case, rendered in 18k white gold and set with diamonds in the bezel.