VIDEO: 5 surprising things we learned about the Zenith Chronomaster Sport, including why there’s a wait listAndrew McUtchen
Nearly everything about the Zenith Chronomaster Sport has been surprising. “Game changer” is a phrase overused to a point of redundancy, but that’s what this watch has done for Zenith. From the day it dropped, it has raised eyebrows of watch lovers and shattered ceilings for the manufacture, who produces a staggering 50 times less watches per year than the likes of Omega and Rolex. As this brand’s star rises, and demand increases – as is happening off the back of the Chronomaster Sport – there will be no need for scarcity games. It will be a simple case of demand outstripping limited capacity for supply.
This story came off the back of a recent chat with Zenith’s Head of Product, Romain Marietta – who recently jumped into a Zoom for a group of locked down Australian Time+Tide Club members. He shared that he was not just surprised, but “shocked” by this new collection’s immediate and profound success. “We knew it would be big, but not this big.” This, however, was not an unexpected comment, so it doesn’t make the cut for our list! Watch this video and learn the following:
- Romain’s proudest design detail is so subtle that I completely missed it.
- Chronomaster Sport watches will make up 30% of Zenith’s total production, with quantities of black and white dial already adjusting for popularity – watch the video to learn what the total now tallies up to.
- Romain’s personal choice of Chronomaster Sport might surprise you.
- Zenith’s previous CEO, and Romain’s ex boss, Jean-Frederique DuFour who now heads Rolex “has definitely seen it” – what was his response?
- True or false: There are less El Primero movements in existence than there are Rolex watches from just one year.